Seymour Tomarin, raised the synthetic turf industry up from carpet manufacturing, by developing technology to improve performance and safety. Tomarin brings over 40 years experience in all aspects of the synthetic turf industry. Focusing on improving the performance and safety of sport surfacing for the players, he developed several sport surfacing patents that led the industry innovation from 2nd generation all the way up to 5th generation.
In 1976, he founded Omnisport International, and developed and internationally marketed infill synthetic surfacing systems, under the marks Omniturf, Omnicourt and Omnigreen. Among the firsts achieved:
- first synthetic turf pitch for professional soccer in Europe installed at QPR London in 1981
- first installations of infill surfaces in Europe for field hockey and soccer 1980
- first installation of infill synthetic turf in England, All England Club Wimbledon 1981
- first infill synthetic turf for football fields in North America,University of Oregon Autzen stadium 1984-2001
- developed the 10,000 and 6,700 denier sports fibers
- first with the box stitch “Matrix” design use in the 1980s for professional tennis courts, and then in field specifications.
- sand and rubber synthetic turf infill patent 1983
As Chairman & CEO of the public parent company, Tecsyn international inc., operations integrated other synthetic surfacing businesses, including Polyloom, the number one American manufacturer of sport fibers (currently owned by Thiolon USA); Sportec, Playfield Industries, AllPro Turf, Laykold Athletic Surfaces, Instant Turf, and Ozite Carpet Manufacturing and Distribution.
Highlights of the companys’ preeminent installations:
Green Bay Packers
San Francisco 49ers
San Diego Chargers
University of Miami
The Ohio State University
University of Florida
Georgia Tech University
University of Oklahoma
University of Oregon
University of Nebraska
University of Buffalo
University of Michigan
University of Arkansas
University of Missouri
James Madison University
In 1997, Tomarin developed the 4th generation sport surfacing later known as XLTurf. This system focused on minimizing or completely eliminating rubber or sand infill materials of third generation surfacing with the improvement of safety and performance with the first use of expanded polyolefin. Tomarin was the first to use EPP for a shock pad (1997) having unique biomechanical properties. This technology led the industry with:
- First FIFA-approved (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) 4thgeneration of non infill turf systems installed at Dunfermline in 2003
With NEXXFIELD inc., 5th generation with patents pending of non-infill and partial infill on Polyolefin foam for both permanent installations and modular panel systems.
As the son of Seymour Tomarin, Julian has grown up in the synthetic turf industry. His dedication to revolutionizing and advancing synthetic turf technologies is unparalleled.
Julian relocated to Southern California from Canada in 2010 to pursue his career in both the turf and the music business. To date, he has toured the world as a successful guitarist in both National and International acts.
Now, with his focus on advancing the synthetic turf industry with new and innovative solutions like the Nexxfield E.2 Panel system and the Nexxpad 2.0 shock pad technologies, Julian is poised to be the next leader in the growing and evolving Turf industry.