Seymour Tomarin, CEO of Tomarin Surfaces, raised the synthetic turf industry up from carpet manufacturing, by developing technology to improve performance and safety. Tomarin brings over 30 years in all aspects of the synthetic turf industry. Focusing on improving the performance and safety of sport surfacing for the players, he developed several sport surfacing patents that led the industry innovation from 1st generation to 2nd generation, then 3rd generation and now 4th generation.
In 1976, he founded Omnisport International, and developed and internationally marketed infill synthetic surfacing systems, under the marks Omniturf, Omnicourt and Omnigreen. Among the firsts achieved:
- first synthetic turf for golf greens endorsed by PGA Tour and PGA of America
- first installations in Europe and England
- first field for professional soccer in Europe installed at QPR London in 1981
- first synthetic grass court at the All England Club Wimbledon
- first infill field for football in North America
- developed the 10,000 and 6,700 denier sports fibers
- first with the box stitch “Matrix” design use in the 1980s for professional tennis courts, later copied by others for field specifications.
- first with a sand and rubber infill patent
As Chairman & CEO of the public parent company, operations integrated other synthetic surfacing businesses, including Polyloom, the number one American manufacturer of sport fibers (currently owned by Thiolon USA); Playfield Industries, AllPro Turf, Laykold Athletic Surfaces, Instant Turf, and Ozite Carpet Manufacturing and Distribution.
Highlights of the companys’ preeminent installations:
Green Bay Packers|
San Francisco 49ers
San Diego Chargers
University of Miami
The Ohio State University
University of Florida
Georgia Tech University
University of Oklahoma
University of Oregon
University of Nebraska
University of Buffalo
University of Michigan
University of Arkansas
University of Missouri
James Madison University
In 2001, Tomarin co-founded XLTurf Inc. to develop and market the 4th generation sport surfacing known as XLTurf. This system focused on minimizing or completely eliminating rubber or sand infill materials of third generation surfacing and the improvement of safety and performance of surfacing using an shock pad with unique biomechanical properties. This technology led the industry with:
- First FIFA-approved (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) 4th generation of non infill turf systems installed at Dunfermline in 2003
Tomarin Surfaces has now collaborated with Nexxfield (www.nexxfield.com) to develop the latest proprietary and patent pending breakthrough technology in 4th generation hybrid and non-infilled playing surfaces with the potential to once again transform the synthetic surfacing industry.